Re: VERY interesting copyright article

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:49:34 -0800 (PST)

Sorry but Mr. Lines is DUPLICATING and changing the contents of these tapes
without permission and he is clearly violating copyright. It is true that
Blockbuster and big chains pressure distributors to make cuts BUT the
distributor is free to say no and Schindler's list is NOT edited in
Blockbuster. IF Mr. Lines want to do this he is free to contact the rights
holders to ask for permission. I think there is an additional murky question
about how many copies of each edited film he is making. Also the TV analogy
does not work at least legally since in fact the contracts would allow
editing but Mr. Lines has no contract with anyone.He can either get
permission to make censored tapes or simply stick to G rated movies but he
can't edit and duplicate on his own

Jessica Rosner
Kino