RE: VERY interesting copyright article

Darryl Wiggers (Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com)
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:26:54 -0800 (PST)

My reactions are somewhat different. But, first, some questions....

How can he make transfers and get around Macrovision? I assume he had
something more sophisticated than two vcrs.

Doesn't Blockbuster get away with doing much the same thing? The main
difference is they don't do in-house editing. They simple pressure the
studios to provide edited versions -- or they won't carry them. Ditto
Wal-Mart. They have the clout to get away with this. Mr. Lines simply does
not.

"...films shown on television and airplanes are also edited. But experts in
intellectual property rights and film company executives say those versions
are edited in collaboration with the studios that make them."

Huh? Not true. Otherwise my employer is in big trouble. But it is worth
noting that studios such as Universal make tv-safe versions for
broadcasters. However broadcasters are also free to make additional cuts for
the sake of accommodating a 2-hour time-slot and commercials. They can also
make creative changes. A local station, for example, will often air films
unedited but... if a character says the word "motherf**cker" the word
"mother" is bleeped (a whole new dimension of humour was added to Repo Man
when they aired that). Or, in the case of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the
word "dick" is kept, but the word "pussy" is not. As a proud cat owner I was
quite miffed when I saw that.

All in all I don't mind viewing Mr. Lines as someone who is proving a
desired community service, much like the broadcasters that decide what is
appropriate to edit based on the community standards -- for better or for
worse -- that exist in their area. Why should a community of Mormons not be
given an option to view edited movies if that's what they want? Not in a
million years is this guy suggesting that ALL video stores -- either in his
community or elsewhere -- carry similar versions (whereas Wal-Mart and
Blockbuster tend to wipe out competition and eliminate diversity). As long
as he isn't making multiple copies from the same tape, I don't see how this
would impact on multi-billion dollar corporations.

Since when did the "Land of the Free" become the "Land That Bows To the
Powers of Big Business"?