Re: info on DVDs

R. Hertzler (rhertz@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:52:39 -0800 (PST)

We've seen this a couple times, but it's always (apparently, at
least) been due to the type of cases that require you to first depress the
center hole, which releases the disc, then lift the DVD out. Patrons are
used to CD jewelbox-style cases that allow you to grasp the protruding
edges of the CD and simply pry it out; for the DVD cases described
above--if you can get your nails under the edges of the disc--that center
button can hang on pretty tightly, putting enough stress on the center
hole to actually crack the disc. I'm trying to flag this style of case
when it comes in for repackaging in a "friendlier" case.

Randy Hertzler
University of Washington Libraries