Re: copyright and closed captioning

Frank Landrum (flandrum@lane.k12.or.us)
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:02:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jan,
There has been some discussion about PL 104-97 adding Section 121 and
within that section wording authorized non-profit organizations and
governmental organizations that have a primary mission to provide
specialized services being able to make changes for the needs of blind or
other persons with disabilities. I am not sure how that will get
interpreted once a case comes forward, but at least it does give you some
teeth. Good luck!!!
Frank Landrum
Lane ESD

At 12:03 PM 1/25/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Our Coordinator of Learning Disabilities Services is asking for a list of
all videos in our collection which are not closed captioned. She wants to
put closed captioning on all our videos that are not already closed
captioned. When questioned about copyright issues, she said that current
legislation apparently renders copyright matters null and void on this
point. I want to see this in print first. Does anyone know anything about
this issue?