Re: Video storage

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:06:16 -0800 (PST)

Joanne, You should choose a piece of furniture that is durable over the
long-term, attractive and decor-matching, but also offers the most capacity
shelving per square footage that you can get. Gaylord, Demco, etc. are
extremely high priced in my opinion - especially for the quality of
furniture you get. Another option is getting display furniture/shelving
from a video store supply company - which we have. I used different pieces
of furniture from these companies at 3 libraries for which I've worked and
they work great. Video Store Shopper (800) 325-6867 (www.shopperinc.com)
and Specialy Store Services, (800) 999-0771 (www.specstoreserv.com). We've
used A-type melamine displays that hold cases at an angle (about 22 to a
shelf - 4-5 shelves per unit per side plus end units) that work well -
however, the shelves are plastic. We've also used attractive wire-grid
units (with locking casters for mobility) - these are great, attractive and
highly durable!! Stores 500-550 per unit in an 8 sq. ft. area (we have 6
units making our shelving capacity about 5000 videos in 48 sq ft
(discounting isle space) - we have about 8000 videos!! (at any given time
about 2000+ are out). These units are much more versatile than bulkier,
book shelving. So you look like a video store - that's not all bad!!! -
check out a price per unit at around $149-$199, compared to Gaylord's
units. A company called JD Store Equipment also offers some attractive
grid display units (and other options) at attractive prices (not as low as
the other two companies mentioned, however (800) 433-3545. They say that
their grid display racks are made of heavier metal than their competitors,
but that isn't true - only the casters are wider/bigger diameter and
heavier. No, I'm not a salesman for those companies, just a satisfied
user. Hope this information helps. Jim Scholtz.

At 11:56 AM 1/25/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Our small branch library has a new and growing video collection.
>Unfortunately we are having trouble storing and displaying it. We
>started out putting the boxes out and the videos in the back but we
>quickly ran out of backroom storage space. We then tried leaving the
>video in the box but we ended up with a lot of theft. Ideally we would
>like to store the video in it's box on the circulating floor. We are
>looking for some kind of unit that looks but offers the patrons the
>ability to browse (read locks for looks). In Gaylord I found a
>clear plastic rotating display unit that locks for audiocassettes
>and CDs but nothing for videos. Does anyone know of any display that would
>fit our needs?
>
>Thanks,
>Joanne

Emacs!