Re: copyright and closed captioning

Jan O'Neill (tconeij@tc.cc.va.us)
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:44:14 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Gary, I really appreciate it! Jan

>>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu 01/25 3:18 PM >>>
Jan:

I'm gonna refer you note to Tom Harrington, a librarian at Gallaudet
University, who knows lots about such things (Tom's not a member of this
list, alas). I'll post his response to the list.

Gary Handman

At 12:04 PM 01/25/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Our Coordinator of Learning Disabilities Services is asking for a list of
all videos in our collection which are not closed captioned. She wants to
put closed captioning on all our videos that are not already closed
captioned. When questioned about copyright issues, she said that current
legislation apparently renders copyright matters null and void on this
point. I want to see this in print first. Does anyone know anything about
this issue?