Re: media scheduling

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:52:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi Stephanie, Just to let you know - I don't know of any advance
booking/scheduling system (media, rooms, equipment, etc.) which works in
concert or simultaneously with a circulation system because, in most
systems, the two programs work against each other. Circ. is a
first-come-first-served type of program and the booking module uses advance
bookings - sure, if an item is on-shelf, you can book it for a patron for
immediate use, but most booking systems utilize daily shelf pull lists. If
an item is booked for 2 days from now it still is on the shelf today and
tomorrow - a patron could come and take it out any of those days. A circ.
system would allow a check out; a booking system would not. Personally, I
like Endeavor's booking system - it's very simple to learn. But I'd only
get it if you had the entire Endeavor integrated cat./bib. system.
Otherwise, I'd use a stand-alone system like Tek Data's Media system or
MediaNet. (Media Net uses/imports MARC records; Tek Data can get/strip
data from a MARC record but doesn't really utilize the entire record. Just
a thought. Jim Scholtz.

At 02:14 PM 1/17/01 -0800, you wrote:
>We are considering using Endeavor's Media Scheduling module for scheduling
rooms, videos, equipment, etc. Is anyone else using this module of
Endeavor's library system? It looks like it has some problems, especially
when trying to use it with their Circulation system. Just wondering what
anyone out there may have managed to set up successfully. Please reply to
me individually. Thanks!

>Stephanie J. Frontz
>Art Librarian, Hd. Multimedia Center
>University of Rochester