Re: women/russian revolution

Brian McCaskill (brian@facets.org)
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:07:34 -0800 (PST)

Some suggestions below if you're interested. If you'd like any more info or
have any questions please feel free to contact me at your convenience. All
of the titles listed below are in stock and ready to ship immediately. Thanks.

"Glasnost Film Festival Vol. 03: The Tailor & Early on Sunday"

This remarkable 12-volume set is a unique opportunity to witness first-hand
the contemporary achievements of Soviet filmmakers as they examine a broad
range of topics and issues affecting their society.

Glasnost Film Festival Vol. 3: The Tailor and Early on Sunday. "The Tailor"
is a sobering look at the spiritual void and disillusionment of the current
generation of middle-aged adults. They entered life with faith in their
talent, in their destiny, and in love. But by the dawn of the Brezhnev
years, they were aged before their time, having lost their preferred work
and the opportunity for creative self-realization. Directed by Vladislav
Mirzoyan, 1988. 50 mins. "Early on Sunday" is a simple, endearing film. On a
Sunday morning in winter, several old village women go to the forest to
gather wood. They chop down some sturdy pine trees, build a fire, banter
about their life and other things, and finally go home. Their unpretentious
observations evoke bursts of laughter, feelings of compassion, and an
immense respect for the dignity and patience of these women who are unaware
of their own worth. Directed by Murat Mamedov, 1987, 18 mins. Russian with
English subtitles. VHS.

Item# Price
S11668 $59.95

"Glasnost Film Festival Vol. 12: "Are You Going to the Ball? & Tomorrow is a
Holiday"

This remarkable 12-volume set is a unique opportunity to witness first-hand
the contemporary achievements of Soviet filmmakers as they examine a broad
range of topics and issues affecting their society.

Glasnost Film Festival Vol. 12: Are You Going to the Ball? and Tomorrow Is a
Holiday. What is the price young athletes pay for their fleeting celebrity?
"Are You Going to the Ball?" takes an unprecedented look at one of the
Soviet Union's most sacred institutions: its world-famous women's gymnastic
team. "It seems to me I gave up all my health for gymnastics," a former
champion says in the film, "My entire body is in pain, and now my time is
over." Directed by Nadezhda Khvorova, 1987, 28 mins. "Tomorrow Is a Holiday"
looks at women whose job is to stuff live chickens into metal containers.
The camera observes there is not much difference between the executioners
and their victims. The workers' dorms are utilitarian lodgings, sort of
containers for people. The women, enraged by their abnormal living
conditions, "keep singing songs to avoid crying or swearing." Directed by
Sergei Bosukovsky, 1987, 18 mins. Russian with English subtitles. VHS.

Item# Price
S11677 $59.95

"The Cranes Are Flying"

A film that marked a radical opening for Soviet cinema; the lighthearted,
romantic, lyrical story of a beautiful young girl (Tatiana Samoilova) caught
up in the horrors of war. When her fiance (Alexei Batalov) goes off to war,
she marries a man whom she does not love and who raped her, is evacuated to
Siberia, and after the war, learns of her fiance's death. But she refuses to
believe it and waits for his return. A great international success which won
the Grand Prix at Cannes. Russian with English subtitles. Directed by
Mikhail Kalatozov. VHS.

Item# Price
S17517 $29.95

Sincerely,

Brian McCaskill, Director
Educational Services
Facets Multimedia
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
e-mail: brian@facets.org
phone: 800-331-6197
fax: 773-929-5437

At 01:56 PM 1/8/01 -0800, you wrote:
>anyone know of any titles about the role of women in the russian
>revolution or about soviet women til about 1989 thanks alot

FACETS WHOLESALE
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
PH: 1-800-888-0775
PH: 1-773-281-9075
FAX:773-929-5437

HOURS: Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:00pm central time