Re: Audiocassette problems

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:26:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike, I know the answer to this one by golly!! Audiotape has 4 tracks
side-by-side. The heads play 2 tracks for side one (the upper) and 3-4 for
side two (the lower) but they are recorded in a linear fashion right to
left and left to right, respectively. Chances are that you're getting
bleed-through from from the lower track when you're trying to play the
upper track - 2 causes: either the play heads are misaligned in your audio
deck (in this case the problem should be prevalent whenever you use your
deck) or the tape is magnetically damaged in some way to cause the
bleed-through. Also, if your unit is a stero unit, you might be able to
compensate by turning one speaker right or left totally off (moving sound
balance dial totally to the left or right) - some old-time audiocassettes
used to use this method to play sides. This phenomenon often occurs on old
tapes and tapes that have been played a lot. Nothing to do but toss them -
no fix. Jim Scholtz.

At 09:56 AM 1/6/01 -0800, you wrote:
>A non-video question, but it's probably appropriate in a roundabout way.
>Does anyone know what would cause an audiocassette to play backward -- that
>is, the machine plays the tape normally, but the recording itself is
>backward. This has happened several times to our audiobooks. The result is
>the same on both sides of the cassette: a lower, almost muffled sound, but
>clearly backwards (haven't heard Linda Blair uttering any obscenities yet,
>or Led Zeppelin ordering me to march with Satan).
>
>Could this be some kind of bleed from one side of the tape to the other? Is
>there any solution? Thanks...
>
>Mike Boedicker
>Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
>Danville Public Library