RE: renting films

Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:26:46 -0800 (PST)

I think we need to be clear about these issues and they are getting
confusing. We're really talking about borrowers fees not rental costs.

1) Some public libraries, such as Becky's, charge an actual fee to
walk-in video borrowers. As Gary pointed out, this was more common in
the early years of video collections in public libraries, but it looks
like some libraries still employ this method of raising money to
support their video collections.

2) I don't know of any academic libraries that charge this kind of a fee
to walk-in borrowers. Please reply to the list if I'm wrong. We do
not charge anyone a fee to view or borrow one of our videorecordings.

3) Some universities operate film/video rental libraries. Indiana
University is one of them. This rental library may or may not be
affiliated with the university's lending library. Here, it is not.
It is a completely separate operation. But I know of at least
film/video rental libraries that are part of the library
administratively.

4) Some libraries charge a handling fee for all or some interlibrary loan
transactions. This fee may be applied to the interlibrary loan of
videorecordings. This is not a rental fee.

-- Kris

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Tatar, Becky wrote:

> Not just universities - public libraries, too. I have asked for our $1 per
> title fee to be dropped, but since we are going into remodeling for the next
> 5 years, our director didn't want to be asking for more money from the city,
> while dropping $20,000 a year in video income.
>

> . . . (snip)Let me get this straight...universities are in the practice of
> loaning titles
> for a fee? Doesn't this violate the whole notion of public performance
> rights
> being non-transferrable?
>
> I sure would like someone to clarify this point, as I am a filmmaker myself
> with one title in educational distribution. The very thought of my hard
> work (
> or anyone else's, for that matter) being loaned for a FEE without getting a
> cut
> or royalties seems unacceptable, and at least, beyond the reasonable bounds
> of
> the public performance clause. (snip)
>
> Becky Tatar
> Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
> Aurora Public Library
> 1 E. Benton Street
> Aurora, IL 60505
> PHONE: 630-264-4100
> FAX: 630-896-3209
> www.aurora.lib.il.us
> E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405