Re: "Sen no Rikyu" and "Radio Canada programs"

Brian McCaskill (brian@facets.org)
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:38:01 -0800 (PST)

Dear Patti,

"Sen no Rikyu" (directed by Ken Kumai) is not currently available on video.
Facets does however carry director Hiroshi Teshigahara's version of the Sen
no Rikyu story entitled "Rikyu", if you're interested. A description is
listed below.

"Rikyu"

Acclaimed filmmaker Hiroshi Teshigahara ("Woman in the Dunes", "Antonio
Gaudi") presents a poignant film exploring the struggle between art and
power. Drinking tea was once a casual ritual around which social and
diplomatic relationships were practiced. In the 16th Century, Sen-no Rikyu
refined the art of the tea ceremony to aesthetic and spiritual heights. His
revolutionary ideas brought him to the forefront of Japanese politics when
war lord Hideyoshi Toyotomi confided in him as Tea Master, and together they
sought what to each was most high: for Rikyu it was beauty, for Hideyoshi,
power. Thoughtful performances from Rentaro Mikune, Tsutomu Yamazaki and
Yoshiko Mita bring this historical allegory to its full, tragic power.
Japanese with English subtitles. $79.95-VHS, $19.99-DVD.

If you have any questions regarding this message or would like any
additional information please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Brian McCaskill, Director
Educational Services
Facets Multimedia
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
e-mail: brian@facets.org
phone: 800-331-6197
fax: 773-929-5437

At 04:28 AM 1/4/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Happy New Year!
>
>Does anyone know of a VHS source for "Sen no Riku" (Death of a Tea Master)?
>We can use a 16mm rental as a last resort!
>
>Also, does anyone know of a vendor for the Radio Canada television series,
>specifically the program on Quebec titled "Point du Jour--Quebec cherche
>Francais"? NTSC is perfect but we can use PAL, too.
>
>Thanks a million,
>
>Patti
>
>Patricia McVay Gorrell
>Manager of Film, Video, and Public Services
>
>The College of Wooster Libraries
>Gault Library, Audiovisual Services
>1140 Beall Avenue
>Wooster, Ohio 44691-2364
>Telephone 1- 330-263-2285
>Fax 1-330-263-2253
>E-mail PMCVAY@wooster.edu

FACETS WHOLESALE
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
PH: 1-800-888-0775
PH: 1-773-281-9075
FAX:773-929-5437

HOURS: Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:00pm central time