Re: renting films

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 08:13:48 -0800 (PST)

Yes, we do exactly what Steven Harris described.

At Hamilton College, our Audiovisual Classroom Services (that's me) has
substantial funding in the budget for renting classroom-use films and
videos for the faculty. Although we're in a different building and have our
own budget lines, we are a subsidiary of the library. So - yes, you could
say that our library pays for the renting of videos.

Faculty members give me their movie schedules. I find the movies wherever
they're available - in our own collection, by asking our library's
acquisitions department to purchase them, by interlibrary loan, or by
rental from commercial distributors (Filmakers Library, Women Make Movies,
Swank, etc.) and university media centers (Penn State, Indiana U., etc.).
Our campus mail center routes the incoming rental films & videos to me.
Then I'm responsible for delivering to & retrieving from the faculty
member, shipping the movie back to the distributor, and paying the invoice
from our budget. I also handle rentals for public-performance showings, but
the sponsor's budget has to pay for those.

If we ever stop doing this, I'm afraid I'd be out of a job!

Marilyn Huntley

At 12:44 PM 1/3/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I was wondering if there are libraries paying for the renting of videos
for campus departments, for example from the filmakers library? Or is the
general practice that the department would pay for the rental? Thanks for
input and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

>--
>Tami-Jo Eckley
>Electronic Services & Media Librarian
>Manhattanville College Library
>Purchase, New York 10577
>http://www.mville.edu/library
>Tel:(914) 323-5274
>Fax:(914) 694-8139
>
>--

Audiovisual Classroom Services
408 Christian A. Johnson Hall
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd., Clinton, NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687
e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu