Re: renting films

Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:34:10 -0800 (PST)

Ok: Let's take a deep breath here...

1. In my experience, few if any libraries proper "rent" films or videos
for a fee. Used to be a handful of rather misguided institutions used to
charge a small deposit fee for borrowing videos...don't believe that's too
common any longer (if it is, woe!)

2. Some universities still support Film/Video Centers--agencies that may
be profit or non--that are in the express business of film/video rental and
sale (eg UC Center for Media and Independent Learning).

3. The First Sale Doctrine of the copyright law allows the owner of a
legally-acquired video to do any damn thing he/she wants with it (except
copy or make derivative works): loan, rent, sell, give away. Public
performance rights has nothing to do with it (PPR have to do with
showing--"performing"--a work outside of the home or face-to-face teaching.
Period.)

OK?