Re: renting films

J Rosette (camerado@camerado.com)
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:18:01 -0800 (PST)

Let me get this straight...universities are in the practice of loaning titles
for a fee? Doesn't this violate the whole notion of public performance rights
being non-transferrable?

I sure would like someone to clarify this point, as I am a filmmaker myself
with one title in educational distribution. The very thought of my hard work (
or anyone else's, for that matter) being loaned for a FEE without getting a cut
or royalties seems unacceptable, and at least, beyond the reasonable bounds of
the public performance clause.

I never knew this was a common practice, and unless I've misunderstood, it's
shocking--

J Rosette
CAMERADO