Re: DVD security cases

W K Ling (wkling@hkapa.edu)
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:04:54 -0800 (PST)

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C071B9.B063E8C0

Our Library started to use the Alpha Trimline cases about a year ago. I =
agreed that the Kwikcase detacher is far more easier to use. However, =
the Alpha Trimline cases take up less space and cost less.=20

Our circulation staff managed the operation well in about a month's =
time. We haven't seen any problem so far.

Wai-king
HKAPA Library=20

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Jan Derks=20
To: Multiple recipients of list=20
Sent: 23 December 2000 01:08
Subject: Re: DVD security cases

Cost has to be secondary to the cost of replacement and the ease in =
using the detacher (the gadget that releases the DVD from the security =
case). We had both Alpha and Kwikcase send us a sample case and detacher =
to demo. Our Circ staff immediately found that the Kwikcase detacher =
was far easier and less time-consuming to use at a very busy Circ desk. =
We also did a Cost-Benefit analysis to determine the real cost to us =
with and without security cases. The cost of ordering, purchasing and =
processing a replacement DVD is far more expensive than the cost of =
security cases and detachers. Purchasing one detacher and security cases =
for 10 DVDs is often less than the cost of replacing the 10 DVDs. Good =
luck with your decision! ~ Jan Derks=20
Mary Gontarek --- Owatonna Public Library wrote:=20

My sincere apologies if this topic has been covered before. We just =
had TEN=20
empty DVD cases turn up on our shelves so I'm concerned that our =
small collection will soon be a memory. I'd like to know if anyone has =
any experience with=20
security cases for DVD's. I know the Kwik Cases are supposed to be =
among the=20
best on the market, unfortunately they're also the most expensive! =
Has anyone=20
purchased the Alpha Trimline cases or the Magnet-O-Disc cases? =
Before we make=20
this costly commitment, it would be good to have a few testimonials. =
Thanks in=20
advance for any light you can shed on this murky topic.=20
Mary Gontarek=20
Owatonna Public Library=20
Owatonna, MN 55060=20
MaryG@selco.lib.mn.us=20

"Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat.=20
Please to put a penny in the old man's hat;=20
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do,=20
If you haven't got a ha'penny, God bless you!"=20
Beggar's rhyme

--=20
Jan Derks=20
AV Collection Development Librarian=20
Arapahoe Library District=20
Littleton,CO 80121=20
Phone: 303-220-7704 x239=20
Fax: 303-740-8283=20
E-mail: jderks@ald.lib.co.us=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C071B9.B063E8C0

Our Library started to use the Alpha Trimline=20 cases about a year ago. I agreed that the Kwikcase = detacher is=20 far more easier to use. However, the Alpha Trimline cases take up less = space=20 and cost less.

Our circulation staff managed the operation = well in about=20 a month's time. We haven't seen any problem so far.

Wai-king
HKAPA Library