Re: DVD security cases

Jan Derks (jderks@ald.lib.co.us)
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:08:54 -0800 (PST)

--------------898FE3E4DB4850B677CD3140

Cost has to be secondary to the cost of replacement and the ease in using the detacher (the gadget that releases the DVD from the security case). We had both
Alpha and Kwikcase send us a sample case and detacher to demo. Our Circ staff immediately found that the Kwikcase detacher was far easier and less
time-consuming to use at a very busy Circ desk. We also did a Cost-Benefit analysis to determine the real cost to us with and without security cases. The cost
of ordering, purchasing and processing a replacement DVD is far more expensive than the cost of security cases and detachers. Purchasing one detacher and
security cases for 10 DVDs is often less than the cost of replacing the 10 DVDs. Good luck with your decision! ~ Jan Derks

--
Jan Derks
AV Collection Development Librarian

--------------898FE3E4DB4850B677CD3140 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> Cost has to be secondary to the cost of replacement and the ease in using the detacher (the gadget that releases the DVD from the security case). We had both Alpha and Kwikcase send us a sample case and detacher to demo. Our Circ staff  immediately found that the Kwikcase detacher was far easier and less time-consuming to use at a very busy Circ desk. We also did a Cost-Benefit analysis to determine the real cost to us with and without security cases.  The cost of ordering, purchasing and processing a replacement DVD is far more expensive than the cost of security cases and detachers. Purchasing one detacher and security cases for 10 DVDs is often less than the cost of replacing the 10 DVDs. Good luck with your decision! ~ Jan Derks