Re: J3 Learning Corporation videos

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 07:25:08 -0800 (PST)

Maria, I've seen many of the J3 productions and, to tell you the truth
they are not all that good. I'm not sure I'm a believer in using a video
product to learn computer skills. (this said as a nonfiction video reviewer
for Booklist and a Library Director responsible for training staff and the
public in learning to use software/hardware). A company called Video
Professor has what I believe are the best software teaching videos on the
market - they involve using split screens, etc. They also offer
interactive CD-ROMs of the same video programs that you can put into your
computer - we have both the videos and CD-ROMs for staff use and
circulation at our library and staff/public really like them. You've
probably seen advertisements on cable TV - here's the phone number.
Usually, they sell the items on a buy one, get one free arrangement;
however, you can ask for direct public sales - they give pretty good
discounts for bulk purchases - 15 titles or more and accept P.O.s.
(800-525-7763). If you can't get through on this number, I'll have my
business officer send you the direct public sales number - if you're
interested in the product. They have 1-3 programs each on the various
Microsoft products - Office Access, Word, etc. and now offer sets for
Windows2000 software.
Jim Scholtz
Yankton Community Library
515 Walnut St.
Yankton, SD 57078
(605) 668-5276; FAX 668-5277

( :|]

At 11:50 AM 12/7/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to locate videos on Microsoft Office programs like Access and
>Excel that were distributed by CompuWorks, Learn PC, Consumer Division of
>J3 Learning Corporation. Bowker lists J3 Learning, but the number has
>been disconnected. I found through Internet searches that they were
>purchased by The Gartner Group in 1996. I called them, but their
>products division and several managers have never heard of the videos. I
>suspect they have disappeared. Does anybody know anything about them?
>
>Thank you,
>Maria
>
>Maria Koehmstedt
>Acquisitions Librarian