Re: Difference in formats(?)

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:17:48 -0800 (PST)

As I recall from my broadcasting classes, television in the UK and the
Commonwealth countries use the PAL system, which creates a video image
using 625 lines of dots per image on the screen, and re-writes this image
50 times per second. France, Russia and many other countries use SECAM,
which also creates pictures from 625 lines of dots, but builds the picture
differently from PAL. Television in the US, Canada, South America, Korea
and Japan use NTSC (National Television Standards Committee) system, which
makes images from 525 lines of dots, 60 times per second. There are many
further details to it (interlacing, usable picture area, data lines, etc.)
but the bottom line is that, short of rewiring the world, PAL, SECAM and
NTSC videos are not and will not be interchangeable.

And 'television' in this case means broadcast tv, vcrs, dvd players,
television sets, the whole system.

Incidentally, the audio track on all these systems is (on vhs tape) an
analog signal that makes it the equivalent of audio tape - so you get the
sound, but no picture, if you try to run a PAL tape on an NTSC deck.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200