Re: Lee Remick movie...and what happens to TV movies anyway??

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:45:41 -0800 (PST)

My thoughts are distinctly influenced by the fact that there has been about
1 hour of sunshine in Montreal in the past 10 days:

Preservation and access are interesting concepts when it comes to
scholarship. On one end of the scale, we have the scholars who feel that
they must have access (preferably in some form of video-on demand) to
everything that has ever been produced, and on the other end, we have the
producing body and/or current copyright owner demanding to be paid for
every allusion to their work in perpetuity. Somewhere in a happier middle
would be information regarding how access could be granted to a viewing
copy of the film if it is not commercially available. Although scholars
should not expect mass marketing and restoration efforts for every single
tv show or student film, they should expect to do the appropriate research
and be satisfied that they have all the information there is about the film
they are interested in, and if it still exists, the opportunity to travel
to an archive to see it.

What forms history? Should everyone's home movies and videos be preserved
in archives? How many cute kids opening presents containing Tickle-Me-Elmos
do we need to preserve, how many wedding videos of similarly dressed
individuals dancing to the same music will represent a particular era.
Archivists will be grappling with decisions for years to come.

Let's put this into perspective. How many people remember the silent film
actress Dagmar Godowsky? She was probably the Lee Remick of her time
(albeit more colorful and with fewer screen credits) and access to her work
most likely disappeared at the same rate as access to Lee Remick's. It's a
very sad fact of culture in motion.

Oksana

At 03:22 PM 11/29/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I remember the film fondly and did not find it all that "lachrymose". It
>had a strong cast w/ the much missed Remick (who at the time was becoming
>queen of the TV movies--in competition w/ Liz Montgomery perhaps),
>Lansbury and Polly Holiday.
>
>I recall that a few of Remick's TV projects ("Hustling," "Wheels,"
>"Jesse") did make it to video, but it seems that the vast majority of
>made-for-TV movies never do--increasingly so. Disappointing, seeing that
>almost every 2nd or 3rd rate cinematic release eventually winds up
>available on video, but often even the best of TV productions do not.
>
>Is there also a preservation issue for future (or current) scholars involved?
>
>Greg
>
>>From: Kim Hale <kah000@mail.lib.colum.edu>
>>To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>>Subject: Lee Remick movie
>>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:23:25 -0800 (PST)
>>
>>I think this might be the film a recent VIDEOLIB query asked about
>>featuring Lee Remick.
>>
>>Kim
>>
>> >From the site, Allmovie.com:
>>-----------------------------
>>
>>The Gift of Love: A Christmas Story
>>1983 - USA - 96 min. - Feature, Color
>>
>>Director: Delbert Mann
>>Artistic/ ProductionStyles: Made for TV
>> >From story by: Aldrich, Mrs. Bess Streeter
>> >From story: Silent Stars Go By, The
>>Set In: Christmas, Depression era
>>Produced by: Amanda Productions / Telecom Entertainment
>>
>>SYNOPSIS:
>>
>>Bearing a marked resemblance to It's a Wonderful Life, The Gift of Love: A
>>Christmas Story stars Lee Remick as a woman plagued by profound emotional
>>and business problems. It's getting close to Christmas, but Remick is
>>hardly in the mood to celebrate, feeling that her life has lost its
>>purpose. She is revitalized by a dream in which she is reunited with her
>>recently deceased mother (Angela Lansbury), who guides Remick through an
>>inspiring replay of her Depression-era childhood.
>>
>>Earl Hamner, of Waltons fame, penned the determinedly lachrymose
>>screenplay. Filmed on location in Vermont, the made-for-TV The Gift of
>>Love was originally aired five days before Christmas in
>>1983. -- Hal Erickson

>>Kimberly Hale, Acquisitions Librarian/Coordinator of Collection Development
>>Library, Columbia College Chicago
>>624 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60605
>>(312)344-7355(voice) / (312)344-8062(fax)

>Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8