Re: video streaming and copyright

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:38:00 -0800 (PST)

I have yet to receive a specific request for streaming one of our films but
as with campus cable broadcast I think this is basically IMPOSSIBLE for
FEATURE FILM MATERIAL. No Studio would ever grant such a right at this point
and I doubt they ever will. Also in the case of Feature films it is not
always obvious who owns these rights as it is often NOT the same as the
company that releases it on DVD or Video. This brings me to a pet peeve.
I often get RIDICULOUS forms with a video order that ask me to grant the
buyer the right to duplicate a "backup" copy and broadcast the title for
"campus" use. In some really insane cases this information is PUT on the P.O
order as if by fulfilling the order I would be granted such rights.
Basically these forms are not worth the paper they are written on. In order
to obtain these kind of rights you would have to MAKE SURE the company you
are dealing with ACTUALLY owns them and they EXPLICITLY grant them to you.

As a practical matter you simply would never be able to obtain this kind
of permission for FEATURE films so this basically means that they are off
the table as far as streaming is concerned. Educational films are of course
different but I suspect that some of the same problems may arise. In short
don't throw away any of your tape & DVD players as they will be the standard
way of seeing films for the foreseeable future

Jessica Rosner
kino