RE: video streaming and copyright

Rick Faaberg (rickf@nwresd.k12.or.us)
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:22:10 -0800 (PST)

And next (but not last or least I'm sure) for K-12, at least, the
educational video market is quite small given regional media collections
that serve multiple local K-12 districts. In order for production of
materials to continue, there must be a sustainable revenue stream for the
producers - part of which is my purchase of duplication rights and also
outright purchase of duplicate copies of videos to meet demand. With the
ability to stream out dozens or hundreds of copies via the network and with
only purchasing one copy and digitizing it, that revenue stream for the
producers is lost. At the point where producers don't produce K-12 video
materials because of economics, I'm basically out of business as a regional
K-12 video library that must offer current, quality, curriculum-related
materials in order to survive.

Rick
NWRESD
Oregon

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 2:04 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: video streaming and copyright

OK...Here it is again:

There are two central issues (at least) involved in creating a digital,
networked video library:

1. Transferring one format to another (i.e. analog to digital) constitutes
making a derivative work -- one of the five exclusive rights assigned to
copyright holders (or their assigned agents)

2. The right to broadcast a work is another exclusive right held by the
copyright owner.

As far as I can tell, Fair Use does not enter into this equation AT
ALL! (...yes, EVEN if the works have passworded access, EVEN if the
content is used exclusively in Face to Face teaching).

.but more to the point: even if there weren't copyright strictures in
the way, the tech issues involved in mounting and delivering (even
locally) large video datafiles are enormous (if not totally insurmountable)
at present. What, pray tell, is the point of spending massive amounts of
staff time, CPU space, bandwidth, and classroom time trying to deliver what
are (at present) substandard images with unstable technologies, when
there's a perfectly serviceable and relatively cost-effective technology at
hand--i.e. tape and DVD. Being cutting edge is one thing; being sensible
seems increasingly to be another thing altogether.