Re: video streaming and copyright

Jim Glenn (jglenn@ucrac1.ucr.edu)
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:37:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to ditto Don's query. I have had discussions with the vice
chancellor I report to about digitizing our entire video collection to be
put on a server for distribution to carrels in our lab, and maybe also to
classrooms on campus. I too have wondered about the copyright issue that
might be involved. If anyone can clarify this I'm sure there are a number
of us who are facing the same uncertain future.

Jim Glenn
Manager, Media Library
Universiy of California, Riverside

At 01:21 PM 11/29/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all:
>
>If I may, I'd like to expand Colette Ford's query about off-air dubbing
and digitizing for video streaming.

>A version of Colette's questions are being asked here at Minnesota and I
suspect at many other places around the country. We're not immediately
concerned with off-air taping that is then digitized for Web access, but
rather digitizing videocassettes and s
>ound recordings from our collections, for storage on large servers and
providing Web access to the files. I'm not sure that some version of web
access to videos without securing permission can't be legal. In Colette's
first question, it seems as if some u
>ser restriction (password protection or geographic limitation) might
protect an institution from copyright infringement. If fair use might apply
in the classroom, what about the virtual classroom? What if access is
restricted to an on-campus lab, say a li
>brary location or a classroom, where user workstations are equipped with
client applications to access a server, could that be legal in some cases
or in some sense? Aside from the analog to digital transformation and off-air!
> taping guidelines, how is in-building viewing of Web delivered video
different from in-building video viewing at a VHS equipped viewing station
or video projection presentation? If one can legally dub the video off air
and use it in the classroom for st
>udent viewing for a limited time, then why couldn't one use that same
program content in the new media environment that restricts viewing to
students enrolled in a particular course at a degree granting non-profit
educational institution?

>The thing that nags at me with this question is the Variations project at
Indiana University. I'm not sure what they do about copyright permissions
but it seems as if they've decided to go ahead with digitization of the
music library's entire collection o
>f music recordings and make them available on library workstations inside
their new building. Their Website, http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variations/
says that so far they've got over 5,000 recordings digitized. They don't
mention much about copyright, oth
>er than to say in a paper (available on the site) that copyright is one
reason they restrict Web listening to in-building use only, no remote
dial-up access, and so far no access via the campus network.

>Does anyone on this list know about the approach to permissions in the
Variations Project? Do they get permission to digitize everything they make
available on the Web? I don't think there's a difference between video and
audio recordings when it comes to
> copyright permission to use the recordings for teaching in college
curricula. So, can the Variations Project instruct us about video in any
way even though it's not about off-air recording? The project is about new
educational technology and it demonstra
>tes Indiana's willingness to move forward on such a large scale that I
can't imagine them going ahead without a strong sense of confidence with
respect to copyright permissions, however they may manage the issue.

>I think copyright permissions and Web access to recorded materials under
the aegis of non-profit educational environments is a can of worms that
should be opened wide. I don't know where to find the time or the opener,
but this list is always a good sourc