Re: video streaming and copyright

Dan Donnelly (d-donn@maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:21:10 -0800 (PST)

Hello all:

If I may, I'd like to expand Colette Ford's query about off-air dubbing and digitizing for video streaming.

A version of Colette's questions are being asked here at Minnesota and I suspect at many other places around the country. We're not immediately concerned with off-air taping that is then digitized for Web access, but rather digitizing videocassettes and sound recordings from our collections, for storage on large servers and providing Web access to the files. I'm not sure that some version of web access to videos without securing permission can't be legal. In Colette's first question, it seems as if some user restriction (password protection or geographic limitation) might protect an institution from copyright infringement. If fair use might apply in the classroom, what about the virtual classroom? What if access is restricted to an on-campus lab, say a library location or a classroom, where user workstations are equipped with client applications to access a server, could that be legal in some cases or in some sense? Aside from the analog to digital transformation and off-air taping gu
idelines, how is in-building viewing of Web delivered video different from in-building video viewing at a VHS equipped viewing station or video projection presentation? If one can legally dub the video off air and use it in the classroom for student viewing for a limited time, then why couldn't one use that same program content in the new media environment that restricts viewing to students enrolled in a particular course at a degree granting non-profit educational institution?

The thing that nags at me with this question is the Variations project at Indiana University. I'm not sure what they do about copyright permissions but it seems as if they've decided to go ahead with digitization of the music library's entire collection of music recordings and make them available on library workstations inside their new building. Their Website, http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variations/ says that so far they've got over 5,000 recordings digitized. They don't mention much about copyright, other than to say in a paper (available on the site) that copyright is one reason they restrict Web listening to in-building use only, no remote dial-up access, and so far no access via the campus network.

Does anyone on this list know about the approach to permissions in the Variations Project? Do they get permission to digitize everything they make available on the Web? I don't think there's a difference between video and audio recordings when it comes to copyright permission to use the recordings for teaching in college curricula. So, can the Variations Project instruct us about video in any way even though it's not about off-air recording? The project is about new educational technology and it demonstrates Indiana's willingness to move forward on such a large scale that I can't imagine them going ahead without a strong sense of confidence with respect to copyright permissions, however they may manage the issue.

I think copyright permissions and Web access to recorded materials under the aegis of non-profit educational environments is a can of worms that should be opened wide. I don't know where to find the time or the opener, but this list is always a good source of ideas.

Dan Donnelly, Library Manager
Learning Resources Center
University of Minnesota Libraries

612.624.6536