Re: video streaming and copyright

Mark Richie (Media2@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:05:47 -0800 (PST)

Colette:
Gary's answer not withstanding, you will need to negotiate a different
set of license rights with each producer above and beyong public
performance or broarcast/cable cast rights. We call them IP
Transmission Rights and make them apply to both store and forward
(downloaded) and streaming via the Web.

We wouln't think of apporaching PBS for such rights. First, the concept
is so new, they have no idea how to deal with it.
Second, their titles are hopelessly mired in contract language from
thier producers.

We go after companies that produce for the education market and make
core curriculum titles rather than social issue docs or infotainment.
Try films for the humanities & benchmark.

Before you ask, we don;t have a set "contract" with our suppliers but
certain understanding s apply: 1 fee per title, no renewal costs, no
limits on number of hits or downloads in a semester (they don't limit
how many times we circulate a hard copy title), has to be 30fps and
compatible with iDVS interactive viewer. Cooperation so far has been
good. Companies that resist or want other demands we just skip over.

Best of luck going digital.
Mark