Re: Depictions of college life?

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:16:16 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_14943383==_.ALT

California Newsreel's "Frosh" is worth looking at as far as non-fiction
depictions go...

Also: I assume you're looking at college life in the US? There're a ton
of features dealing with the horrors of Oxford, Cambridge, and other veddy
British institutions.

Don't forget Paper Chase...James Bridge's wonderful send up of Law School.

Gary

0 AM 11/27/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Videolibbers,
>
>I have an interesting request.
>We're looking for films that depict the 'University experience'.
>Library staff are responsible for teaching a University seminar
>class ("Freshman success") and need some sources to
>compare and contrast images of college life. We've run through
>some of the more obvious (and questionable) like 'Animal House',
>'Back to school', 'Good Will Hunting' etc., and really could use
>some more acceptable suggestions. We would like contemporary
>films (I thought Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland would be great, but
>I was out-voted. Should I demand a recount?).
>Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>

>Joan Freeman Goodwin
>Media Center Supervisor
>
>Malcolm A. Love Library email:jgoodwin@mail.sdsu.edu
>San Diego State University phone:(619)594-6759
>San Diego, California 92182-8050 fax : (619)594-0718

UC Berkeley 94720-6000
<http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC

"Everything wants to become television"
(Gregory Ulmer. Teletheory : Grammatology in the Age of Video)