RE: RTI Machine

Rick Faaberg (rickf@nwresd.k12.or.us)
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:17:31 -0800 (PST)

We have an RTI TapeCheck machine, but...

We rely on (and solicit) user feedback on our tapes' condition and simply
replace those that need it. If recollection serves, we replace around 6-10
tapes per year out of a collection of 15,000 prints. (As the collection
ages, of course, this may get worse.)

When I consider the cost of having staff inspect each video vs. the benefit
(which I see as negligible), my decision is made for me: no routine video
inspections.

We do splice the tape back onto the leaders, though... 8^)

Rick
NWRESD
Oregon

-----Original Message-----
From: LeeAnne Krause [mailto:LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 2:04 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: RTI Machine

This and other models of the same company are machines that clean and
inspect videos. A lot of folks have them, but I've personally heard a lot
of debate about how good they are for videos (they have a scaping mechanism
which removes debris- at least our model does). And then there's the
question of how often you should use them. We used to run our videos
through them very frequently, but we've cut back now to about once a
semester, or when we need to check a video for damage of some kind. Does
anyone else have other perspectives on this?
L Krause

>>> Lfl$lib@qc1.qc.edu 11/14/00 04:46PM >>>
Please for give my ignorance:

What is a RTI TapeCheck Machine 460