RE: Header cleaner

Jane_Agee@valhalla.oit.duke.edu
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 07:50:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi John,
This has been an on-going discussion for the last few weeks. This last
message seems to sum it up. We might want to rethink our use of dry head
cleaners???
Cheers, Jane

Trent Nicholas <Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us> on 11/08/2000 09:24:51 AM

Please respond to videolib@library.berkeley.edu

To: Multiple recipients of list
<videolib@library.berkeley.edu>

cc: (bcc: Jane
Agee/Libraries/Provost/Academic/Univ/Duke)

Subject: RE: Header cleaner

After MANY discussions for many years of this matter back in the 1980s, it
seemed to come down to these ideas:

#1 Wet head cleaners-NO GOOD. The liquid stays behind. Use only a
reputable dry and 3M is what I use.

#2 Do NOT use a head cleaner regularly as their instructions want you to.
They really are not so good for VCR heads which are much more sensitive than
audio tape heads.

#3 Use them only when absolutely needed. I have had my current VCR for 4
years and have cleaned the heads but once. The dreaded abrasion factor is
very minimal-to-negligible when used seldom-hardly more than running a
regular tape through.

#4 In deference to Wiggers, if you got a $7000 machine-have it
professionally cleaned. If you got a $150 dollar machine as most of us, the
once every few years dry head cleaner is okay.

However, nothing is guaranteed in life.

Trent Nicholas
Statewide Media Resource Coordinator