Re: Janis Joplin

Gregory Callahan (gregory_callahan@hotmail.com)
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:16:47 -0800 (PST)

The 1974 cinematic release "Janis" (later subtitled "The Way She Was") was
released 4 years after her death, so I'm not sure if that's the rush job
Frank Landrum seems to dislike so. I've seen the documentary both in the
theater and on video and enjoyed a lot both times. Amazon mentions that
this film was done with the approval of the familiy and does not explore her
'dark side' at any length, but I can't say I see that as a real
flaw--there's plenty of stuff out there(at least in print) that explores
that aspect of her life.

It does include a performance and interview sequences from "The Dick Cavett"
show, along with studion rehearsals and live performances, so I'm fairly
certain that this is the film your patron is requesting.

Greg Callahan