Re: Open Stacks vs. Closed Stacks

Robin Moskal (rmoskal@gettysburg.edu)
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:02:25 -0800 (PST)

At Gettysburg College we have videos in both open and closed stacks, and
DVDs only in the open stacks(except for materials on Reserve). Anything
cataloged from 9/99 on has gone into this open media stack video/DVD area,
near the Media Center on the ground floor.

The closed stacks materials are kept in a Gemtrac behind the Circulation
desk (1st floor) and must be requested there, however the video boxes are
all kept in the open media stack area, intermingled with the videos on the
shelf. Music CDs are kept behind the Circulation desk as well.

In December we'll be moving the Gemtrac (and contents) and CDs to the Media
Center office so that all media are on the same floor. Our eventual goal,
two years or so down the road, is to have a remodeled Media Center which
will house all video, DVD and CD materials. The collection will be
browseable and materials will be checked out at point of access.

This is what we had originally, but 4 years ago we had a flood that
destroyed many of the videos, and those that weren't were moved to the
first floor. So we're getting back to square 1!

Robin

At 09:02 AM 11/1/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been reading the various responses to the University of Montana media
>survey. I'd be curious to know of *any* academic library has their media
>resources collection either in open stacks, either integrated into the
>print collection or separate from it. It seems to me that we've had this
>discussion before on the listserv and I remember only one academic library
>with this arrangement. -- Kris
>
>Kristine R. Brancolini, Director, Digital Library Program
>Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
>Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
>Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Web: www.dlib.indiana.edu

Robin B. Moskal
Access Services Librarian
Musselman Library