Re: Media Survey

Veronica Maher (vtm@alpha.rwu.edu)
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:17:59 -0800 (PST)

From: Karen Driessen <karend@selway.umt.edu>
Subject: Media Survey
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:28:55 -0800 (PST)
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>

Please excuse any duplicate messages.  This survey was recently handed out to registrants of the CCUMC conference in Denton, Texas as well as the OLAC conference in Seattle.   If you know your library has already responded, please do not respond again.

However, if you haven't done so, could you or someone else in your library take a few minutes to reply by email to the following questions?  Our media collections have recently been moved into the library.   The questions being raised are Why treat these collections any differently from books?  Shouldn't they be in open stacks and have the same library policies applied to them as for everything else?  This survey is an attempt to find out what is being done in other academic libraries who house media and music collections.  I will be happy to send a compilation of all the results to the list once they have been tallied

Thanks very much for your time.

SURVEY

This survey is being conducted by Instructional Media Services, Mansfield Library, University of MontanaMissoula.  For further information, please contact:
Melisa Nicoud, Mansfield Library, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana.  59812-9936 or Karen Driessen, Mansfield Library, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana 59812-4968.

We would appreciate your valuable input by taking a few moments to complete the following survey.  Please drop into the box marked Media Survey at the CCUMC Registration table.  Thank you.

1.      What type of library are you affiliated with:
__x__ Academic       ____Special        _____Public    ______School (K-12)     ______Other

2.   Is your media collection:                             Is your music collection:

_________Open stacks                               ________Open stacks
_____x____Closed stacks                             _____x___Closed stacks
_________Combination of open/closed               ________Combination
_________Integrated with print collection                 ________Integrated with print collection

3.      If your collections are open, to which formats does this apply? (Check all that apply)
Open    Closed                               Open             Closed

Art prints              ______            _______                Phonodiscs       __x______              _______
Audiocassettes        ______            _______          Slides           ________              _______
CDs                             ______  ____x___          Slides/w cassettes   ________              _______
Computer files          ______  _______          Study prints            ________              _______
DVDs            ______  _______           Videocassettes        ________              _____x__
Globes          ______  _______          Scores           ________              _______
Kits                     ______   _______          Sheet music     ________              _______
Maps                     ______   _______

4.   Are any of the collections bookable?  Available for advanced booking?   If yes, are any bookable formats in open stacks? no If yes, please specifiy: __________________________________

5.      How is your media collection organized?          How is your music collection organized?
____x_____LC                                ________LC
_________Dewey                             ________Dewey
_________Accession Number                 ____x____Accession number
_________Other                                      ________Other

6.      If your media and music collections are open, what security measures are being used?
_________Quik cases
_________Targets
_________Browse empty cases
Other security measures, please explain:

7.      How do your media and music material circulate:  (for Academic and Special Libraries)
________On-Site use only
_________Faculty check out only
_____x____Students, faculty and staff only
_________Students, faculty, staff and non-university patrons
_________Inter-Library Loan
_________Rental
Other?  Please explain:

8.      Are you satisfied with your current media/music arrangements?  Please explain.

Yes except I would like to see ILL in our consortium.

Medsurvey100900

Karen C. Driessen, Director                        Phone:  406-243-2856

Instructional Media Services (MMLAO1)            FAX:      406-243-4067

32 Campus Drive #4968                     E-mail: karend@selway.umt.edu

The University of Montana

Missoula MT 59812-4968 --- End of Original Message

Name: Veronica Maher
Media Services/Reference Librarian
Roger Williams University
E-mail:<vtm@alpha.rwu.edu>