Re: Media Survey

Nancy Joyce (njoyce@umich.edu)
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:50:09 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Karen Driessen wrote:

> [...]

> SURVEY
>
> This survey is being conducted by Instructional Media Services, Mansfield
> Library, University of MontanaMissoula. For further information, please
> contact:
> Melisa Nicoud, Mansfield Library, University of Montana, Missoula,
> Montana. 59812-9936 or Karen Driessen, Mansfield Library, University of
> Montana, Missoula, Montana 59812-4968.
>
> We would appreciate your valuable input by taking a few moments to complete
> the following survey. Please drop into the box marked Media Survey at the
> CCUMC Registration table. Thank you.
>
> 1. What type of library are you affiliated with:
> __x__ Academic ____Special _____Public ______School
> (K-12) ______Other
>
> 2. Is your media collection: Is your music
> collection:
> _________Open stacks ________Open stacks
> __x______Closed stacks ________Closed stacks
> _________Combination of open/closed ________Combination
> _________Integrated with print collection
>
> 3. If your collections are open, to which formats does this apply?
> (Check all that apply)
> Open Closed Open Closed
>
> Art
> prints ______ _______ Phonodiscs
> ________ _______
> Audiocassettes ______ _______ Slides
> ________ _______
> CDs ______ _______ Slides/w
> cassettes ________ _______
> Computer files ______ _______ Study
> prints ________ _______
> DVDs ______ _______ Videocassettes ________
> _______
> Globes ______ _______ Scores ________
> _______
> Kits ______ _______ Sheet
> music ________ _______
> Maps ______ _______
>

> 4. Are any of the collections bookable? Available for advanced
> booking? If yes, are any bookable formats in open stacks? If yes, please
> specifiy: __yes-all________________________________
>

> 5. How is your media collection organized? How is your music
> collection organized?
> _________LC ________LC
> _________Dewey ________Dewey
> ____X____Accession Number ________Accession number
> _________Other ________Other
>
> 6. If your media and music collections are open, what security
> measures are being used?
> _________Quik cases
> _________Targets
> _________Browse empty cases
> Other security measures, please explain:
>

> 7. How do your media and music material circulate: (for Academic and
> Special Libraries)
> _x(for students)____On-Site use only
> _x__________________Faculty check out only
> ____________________Students, faculty and staff only
> ____________________Students, faculty, staff and non-university patrons
> _x(16mm films only)_Inter-Library Loan
> _x__________________Rental*
> Other? Please explain:
> We rent at a nominal fee to the local school district, a community
college and another local university.

> 8. Are you satisfied with your current media/music
> arrangements? Please explain.

> The music collection is not housed with our collection but held in
the Music Library.

As far satisfaction with current circ policies, I would say that it
works well though our viewing space could be increased substantially (from
our current 7 spaces) to better accomodate increased student demand during
midterm and final exam periods. There are discussions underway to address
the issue of greater student access.

Nancy Joyce, Acting Head
Film and Video Library
University of Michigan