Re: Damaged videos

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:49:58 -0800 (PST)

This does sound like a copy protection effect (Macrovision
or other) that still causes trouble with viewing on older
TV sets, or when the tape's signal has been passed through
another VCR on its way to a TV set. If the problem was
reported from the branches by their borrowers, using their
own equipment at home, this seems especially likely.

Jeff Clark

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:35:54 -0800 (PST)
sgilliam@guilford.edu wrote:

> Maybe its your vcr or your tv....or some kind of copy guard protection.
> Magnetic damage usually will scramble the signal altogether.
>

> Pepa
> <gpepa@suffolk.lib. To: Multiple recipients of list
> ny.us> <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> Sent by: cc:
> videolib@library.be Subject: Damaged videos
> rkeley.edu
>

> 10/30/00 03:27 PM
> Please respond to
> videolib
>

> Recently our department recieved over 20 videos from one of our four
> branches where the damage consisted of the color fading in and out. These
> tapes ranged from older titles to recent acquisitions that had only
> circulated 6-8 times. Could this be a result of the magnetism being
> corrupted?
>
> Any ideas or similar experience?
>
> Gail Pepa
> Smithtown Library, Technical Services Center

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources (MSC 1701)
James Madison University