Re: Info on combining services

Gail B. Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:34:09 -0700 (PDT)

fax 615-898-2530
email gfedak@mtsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Joan Goodwin <mediasup@library.sdsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thursday, October 19, 2000 5:36 PM
Subject: Info on combining services

>Video Libbers,
>
>I am looking for information from those of you who serve as media
>coordinators in academic libraries. Our library is studying the idea=20
>of a physical reorganization. One of the considerations is the =
combining =20
>of service points. I would be interested to know what others in the=20
>field are doing, if anything, about the issue of 'blending services'.
>I have a few questions, but any and all input would be appreciated.=20
>You can reply to me off the list. I hope these questions make sense.
>
>Are you a closed-stack facility?=20
>
>Does your department have a media faculty reserve/limited loan?=20
>
>If so, is your Media department combined with a reserve/limited loan =
book
>area?
>Electronic Reserves?=20
>
>Does your department share physical space or a service point with any =
other=20
>department? =20
>
>If your material circulates, is it checked out from the department, or =
at a
>central circulation point?
>
>Do you offer any multimedia services through your department, e.g.=20
>slide-scanning, laser-scanner, digital video editing, audio mixing, =
etc.?=20

>Thank you in advance for your help. Every reply will be rewarded!
>(with my undying gratitude)

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C03AA4.DED62E80

Joan,
MTSU's media library and main library are separate = entities=20 with independent budgets, personnel, facilities, etc. Ours is a closed = stack=20 operation. Faculty can reserve materials for students to view in house = (no=20 checkouts during these periods), may check out materials to take to = class=20 (usually 2-7 days). Students must use all materials, except audio = cassettes,=20 in-house. Because we are separate facilities, all media circulation and=20 scheduling activities occur centrally at our location, not at the main=20 library.  We are strictly a dissemination service. Production = services=20 (audio/video copying, mixing, editing, etc. are handled by other = departments on=20 campus devoted to those activities. We do provide a computer lab in = which we=20 have scanners that handle printed images. I hope this helps in your=20 reorganization efforts.
Gail B.=20 Fedak
Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State=20 University
Murfreesboro, TN  37132