Re: "School-appropriate" versions of feature films?

Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C039B9.C87F68E0

Thanks Darryl, et al for your comments/suggestions!

Best,

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270
vidlib@videolibrarian.com

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Darryl Wiggers=20
To: Multiple recipients of list=20
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 9:26 AM
Subject: RE: "School-appropriate" versions of feature films?

There's a company called Feature Films For Families at =
http://www.familytv.com/
=20
But they wouldn't carry something like Schindler's List because it was =
produced and distributed by Universal. On the other hand, Universal is =
notorious for only distributing ready-made "edited-for-television" (or =
family) versions of their films to broadcasters. Many a time my channel =
has had to send back a broadcast master because we asked for the =
theatrical version, but they still send us the edited version. They are =
the only major studio who repeatedly do this. They also reformat their =
films. For example John Carpenter's The Thing (also distributed by =
Universal) has scenes re-arranged in the TV version. Anyway, the best =
option is for the teacher to tape these films directly from TV and use =
them in class.
=20
There's also a site that provides some excellent info, guidelines and =
discussion topics. It's called Teaching With Movies: =
http://www.teachwithmovies.org/ However, they reject a lot of titles =
that they deemed inappropriate for children. Check out the list at =
http://www.teachwithmovies.org/rejects.htm and read their explanations. =
They firmly believe in the no sex, no nudity, no violence, no bad words =
-- or even a suggestion of any of the above -- for the films they cover. =
Personally I can do without their righteous attitude, but they still =
recommend Schindler's List (with a "serious problem" warning attached), =
and provide some good info: =
http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/schindlers-list.html
=20
Question: If one wants to use a visual aid to demonstrate the horrors =
of the Holocaust, why show a "family-friendly" version of Schindler's =
List that eliminates the horror? Besides, there are tons of excellent =
documentaries on the subject. A few that come to mind are Children of =
the Holocaust, Memory of the Camps, Lodz Ghetto and Children Remember =
the Holocaust. These should be easier to track down anyway.
=20
dw
=20