RE: "School-appropriate" versions of feature films?

Darryl Wiggers (Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C039E8.EE84E3BA

There's a company called Feature Films For Families at
http://www.familytv.com/ <http://www.familytv.com/>

But they wouldn't carry something like Schindler's List because it was
produced and distributed by Universal. On the other hand, Universal is
notorious for only distributing ready-made "edited-for-television" (or
family) versions of their films to broadcasters. Many a time my channel has
had to send back a broadcast master because we asked for the theatrical
version, but they still send us the edited version. They are the only major
studio who repeatedly do this. They also reformat their films. For example
John Carpenter's The Thing (also distributed by Universal) has scenes
re-arranged in the TV version. Anyway, the best option is for the teacher to
tape these films directly from TV and use them in class.

There's also a site that provides some excellent info, guidelines and
discussion topics. It's called Teaching With Movies:
http://www.teachwithmovies.org/ <http://www.teachwithmovies.org/> However,
they reject a lot of titles that they deemed inappropriate for children.
Check out the list at http://www.teachwithmovies.org/rejects.htm
<http://www.teachwithmovies.org/rejects.htm> and read their explanations.
They firmly believe in the no sex, no nudity, no violence, no bad words --
or even a suggestion of any of the above -- for the films they cover.
Personally I can do without their righteous attitude, but they still
recommend Schindler's List (with a "serious problem" warning attached), and
provide some good info:
http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/schindlers-list.html
<http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/schindlers-list.html>

Question: If one wants to use a visual aid to demonstrate the horrors of the
Holocaust, why show a "family-friendly" version of Schindler's List that
eliminates the horror? Besides, there are tons of excellent documentaries on
the subject. A few that come to mind are Children of the Holocaust, Memory
of the Camps, Lodz Ghetto and Children Remember the Holocaust. These should
be easier to track down anyway.

dw