Re: public performance rights - again...

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:41:02 -0700 (PDT)

If the use is instructional (not recreational), she is right and you are
wrong. The face-to-face teaching exemption applies. The teacher does not
need public performance rights for a videorecording that she plans to use
as part of classroom instruction. This is covered in Section 110 of the
Copyright Law. For the specific text, see this URL:

<http://www.iupui.edu/~copyinfo/sec110.html>

If she wants to use the film for entertainment, you are right and she is
wrong. The "educational setting" is not the salient point. It depends
upon how the teacher plans to use the videorecording in that setting. --
Kris

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 Fischmurph@aol.com wrote:

> I know this group has discussed this at length before, but I had a
> disagreement with a high school librarian today about showing a film in the
> classroom. She wanted to borrow a video copy of Pride and Prejudice ( I
> think it is an A&E production and I'm working in a public library - I've
> definitely not purchased public performance rights) to show to a classroom of
> students. She insisted that it was OK to show in an educational forum and I
> disagreed. Who's right?

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405