Re: dome of silence - now solved

sdehut@linfield.edu
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

All apologies to "Get Smart" -- but I saw something like this at a science
center recently. Clear plastic circles, about the size and shape of a home
satellite dish with a speaker in the middle. Each one was suspended about
8 feet above the floor above a display area, and when you stood underneath
it you could clearly hear the narration for the display, but not if you
stepped away from under the dish. This enabled the center to have
"talking" exhibits about 6 feet apart and not have the sound overlap. I
thought it was pretty amazing, myself.

Sue DeHut

(And I thought I saw a guy there who was talking into his shoe.....)

--On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 7:46 AM -0700 Andrea Slonosky
<Andrea.Slonosky@liu.edu> wrote:

> So it was. Thank you so much - now I can justify all my expenses with a
> razzle dazzle description of cutting edge technology that we will never
> ever get, and don't actually need...
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Andrea

Susan Davis-DeHut