Re: Scheduling vs. circulating videos

Gail B. Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:18:44 -0700 (PDT)

phone 615-898-2740
fax 615-898-2530
email gfedak@mtsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SDavies@MtRoyal.AB.CA <SDavies@MtRoyal.AB.CA>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thursday, October 12, 2000 1:50 PM
Subject: Scheduling vs. circulating videos

>This is really a philosophical issue rather than a situational one. I =
use
>the words "scheduling" and "booking" interchangeably.
>

> Which institutions will circulate videos generally as well as take
>bookings for them?
>
> Currently, and I must admit against my wishes, my institution has =
an
>open collection of videos in the Library. Patrons can browse the =
shelves
>and borrow them from the Circulation Desk, or ask the Media Desk to =
book
>the videos for a particular day and time. These are videos with public
>performance rights (PPR) and are separate from the videos which are
>interfiled in the main stacks and which are for "Home use only".
>
> I'm not aware of a fully automated library which treats its videos =
as
>both circulating and bookable. It's usually one or the other, or the =
video
>collection is split into the bookable and non-bookable. Here, the =
booking
>has been a manual process up until now. You will wonder how we avoid
>conflicts. It is cumbersome to process booking requests with any
>guarantee, and we've just been trusting to luck. In addition to an =
item
>being bookable at Media, a patron can ask for the item to be placed on =
hold
>at Circulation; it's two separate processes. Does this sound like =
madness,
>or what?
>
> We're just learning our Media Scheduling module of Endeavor's =
Voyager
>library system. In order to schedule a video from our Library =
collection,
>the item must have a media type entered. Items with Media types can =
only
>be loaned when scheduled; they cannot be loaned off-the-cuff thru the
>Circulation module unless they have their media type cancelled.
>
> I assume we're at the make-or-break point of pursuing our =
library's
>policy of freely circulating bookable videos. Any contributions for =
our
>discussion would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Stephen Davies
> Library Assistant
> Mount Royal College, Calgary

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C034F8.B4BEA2A0

We are the media library on campus, = totally=20 separate from the University Library, so scheduling and circulating = transactions=20 occur at one place - ours.  Faculty may check out our videos to = take to=20 class, may place them on hold for students to complete viewing = assignments, or=20 may schedule them to be played over the closed circuit system into their = classroom. Students must use all media except audio cassettes in-house. = We use=20 Voyager's database, but have yet to get the booking/scheduling module to = operate, so we have not abandoned our traditional phone, in-person, and = email=20 scheduling system. Also, we have no open stacks and interfile our PPR = programs=20 with the Home Use ones, making note of the Home Use only status (1) in = the=20 catalog number of those items, (2) with a Home Use Only red sticker on = the=20 cassette, and (3) with a restrictions note in the  MARC record. = Scheduling=20 conflicts have rarely been a problem. Good luck with your booking and=20 circulation policies.
Gail B. Fedak
Instructional Media = Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN  = 37132