RE: future DVD?

Carol Dunn (dunnca1@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:58:57 -0700 (PDT)

We are slowly making the transition from video to DVD. Feature films only at
this time. So, this year we bought 8 video copies of each title and 1 DVD.
Next year it will be 7 video copies of each title and 2 DVD.
Slowly we are changing....this is the nature of the business. Reminds me
of the Chinese proverb (or is it a curse?)
"May you live in interesting times"................
Carol Dunn
AV Librarian, NT Administrator and Webmaster
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
419.422.1712 Ext. 217

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Kristine R.
Brancolini
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 4:32 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: future DVD? Naaa

OK, let's be more specific. Educational video includes home video,
including feature films. How to do you negotiate with these rights
holders? The system Mark describes leaves teachers with a *very* limited
number of choices. This might work for K-12, but colleges and
universities need access to a broader range of content than Mark's system
would provide.

Regarding educational titles on DVD: They are beginning to be released.
I agree that VHS is not disappearing any time soon. And as much as
librarians dislike the idea, we are all likely to be supporting DVD and
VHS simultaneously. I still have 3/4" U-matic in my collection. That
brings our video formats to four: 3/4", VHS, laserdisc, and DVD. That's
a fact of life for a college or university library. I imagine that public
libraries will be supporting VHS and DVD for many year to come as well.

Instead of "future DVD? Naaa," I say "digital distribution? Naaa." For
lots of reasons, not just intellectual property. -- Kris

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Rick Faaberg wrote:

> On 10/9/2000 12:33 PM, Jessica at jesskino@redconnect.net may have
written:

> > Doesn't this leave you with a fairly small amount of mostly educational
> > films.
>
> Hi,
>
> (Just had to respond, Mark!)
>
> In K-12 regional media libraries, ALL of our videos are educational.
That's
> our mission!
>
> 8^)
>
> Rick
> Northwest Regional ESD
> Oregon, USA

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405