Re: future DVD? Naaa

Jane_Agee@valhalla.oit.duke.edu
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:04:21 -0700 (PDT)

I must "ditto" Kris's comments and add that here many, many faculty members
requests DVDs. At the University level, with a program in Film & Video Studies
plus film courses in every foreign language program, we use many domestic and
international feature films. All replacements of old cassette titles are on DVD
if available. DVD has become the preferred format for most teaching faculty.
They want documentaries in this format too, tho' we know that isn't likely to
happen with the majority of documentaries.
DVD players are not an issue. There's easy access for either DVD or VHS
players in most classrooms. In the library we, like Kris, support four video
formats in our viewing areas.
Another factor is convenience of size for both the faculty member who
carries these videos around and for the Library. If we continue collecting
only cassettes, our shelving space will be filled within two years. By buying
DVDs, we save space and can push the space problem out for a few more years.
Digital distribution? While Duke is experimenting with clips for a few
courses, I doubt the library's collection will go this route, in the near
future, for many reasons.

Jane Agee <jane.agee@duke.edu>

"Kristine R. Brancolini" <brancoli@indiana.edu> on 10/09/2000 04:31:47 PM

Please respond to videolib@library.berkeley.edu

To: Multiple recipients of list
<videolib@library.berkeley.edu>

cc: (bcc: Jane
Agee/Libraries/Provost/Academic/Univ/Duke)

Subject: Re: future DVD? Naaa

OK, let's be more specific. Educational video includes home video,
including feature films. How to do you negotiate with these rights
holders? The system Mark describes leaves teachers with a *very* limited
number of choices. This might work for K-12, but colleges and
universities need access to a broader range of content than Mark's system
would provide.

Regarding educational titles on DVD: They are beginning to be released.
I agree that VHS is not disappearing any time soon. And as much as
librarians dislike the idea, we are all likely to be supporting DVD and
VHS simultaneously. I still have 3/4" U-matic in my collection. That
brings our video formats to four: 3/4", VHS, laserdisc, and DVD. That's
a fact of life for a college or university library. I imagine that public
libraries will be supporting VHS and DVD for many year to come as well.

Instead of "future DVD? Naaa," I say "digital distribution? Naaa." For
lots of reasons, not just intellectual property. -- Kris

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Rick Faaberg wrote:

> On 10/9/2000 12:33 PM, Jessica at jesskino@redconnect.net may have written:
>
> > Doesn't this leave you with a fairly small amount of mostly educational
> > films.
>
> Hi,
>
> (Just had to respond, Mark!)
>
> In K-12 regional media libraries, ALL of our videos are educational. That's
> our mission!
>
> 8^)
>
> Rick
> Northwest Regional ESD
> Oregon, USA

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405