Re: future DVD? Naaa

Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:31:59 -0700 (PDT)

OK, let's be more specific. Educational video includes home video,
including feature films. How to do you negotiate with these rights
holders? The system Mark describes leaves teachers with a *very* limited
number of choices. This might work for K-12, but colleges and
universities need access to a broader range of content than Mark's system
would provide.

Regarding educational titles on DVD: They are beginning to be released.
I agree that VHS is not disappearing any time soon. And as much as
librarians dislike the idea, we are all likely to be supporting DVD and
VHS simultaneously. I still have 3/4" U-matic in my collection. That
brings our video formats to four: 3/4", VHS, laserdisc, and DVD. That's
a fact of life for a college or university library. I imagine that public
libraries will be supporting VHS and DVD for many year to come as well.

Instead of "future DVD? Naaa," I say "digital distribution? Naaa." For
lots of reasons, not just intellectual property. -- Kris

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Rick Faaberg wrote:

> On 10/9/2000 12:33 PM, Jessica at jesskino@redconnect.net may have written:
>
> > Doesn't this leave you with a fairly small amount of mostly educational
> > films.
>
> Hi,
>
> (Just had to respond, Mark!)
>
> In K-12 regional media libraries, ALL of our videos are educational. That's
> our mission!
>
> 8^)
>
> Rick
> Northwest Regional ESD
> Oregon, USA

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405