Re: future DVD? Naaa

Mark Richie (Media2@bellatlantic.net)
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:14:56 -0700 (PDT)

On the question of copyright permissions: We negotiate IP Transmission
rights in the same way we negotiate hard copy video duplication rights.
It is understood by the producer in this process, and by way of
demonstrating the interactive component of the system, that the title
will reside on the school server during client use. The interactive
system does not function in a streaming mode. Besides, even in
streaming, the content is in cashe memory for a time.
Negotiations are done company by company. The IP Rights are for our
service area only (155 schools) and the site is password protected and
has other security that satisfies the producers we have worked with so
far.
We shut down the streaming component of our system because of
limitations out in our schools. If you have a private ATM network or a
campus intranet, you don't have these concerns. But making the linear
video interactive really makes the investment worth while - otherwise we
would just keep delivering little boxes with our vans.
We went thru this license issue nearly 20 years ago when the notion of
video dupe rights came up. Many of the producers who were against it the
most ended up with the most liberal policies (for a price of course).

If anybody is going to be at National Media Market this week - look me
up. I'll have the front end of the system with me and can show those
interested how it works.