Re: future DVD? Naaa

Jan Anderson (janders@scls.lib.wi.us)
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 06:43:45 -0700 (PDT)

So sorry, did not mean to reply to list.

At 04:07 PM 10/8/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Educational video on DVD? If there is a future for it, there shouldn't
>be. We specialize in the "really expensive" education videos and manage
>to circulate 40,000+ of them each year. We are moving to non-physical
>delivery with a store and forward system called iDVS - interactive
>digital video system. Videos are downloaded with a scheduling system
>directly to school servers or a teacher desktop and a re shown full
>motion (30 fps) full screen. The viewer is interactive and allows
>teachers to add captions, drawings, sound bites etc and save them for
>later.
>
>DVD cost too much for development (to do it right) and cost more to set
>up the manufacture than cd-rom. Most video companies can't afford the
>investment becasue they don't sell enought volume to make it worth
>while. Which doesn't stop them from trying. Several of them got burnt
>with videodisc and CDi and have wearhouses full of 'em. They don't want
>to get burned again. At the school end, there are not enough resources
>to buy a single use piece of equipment (ie: DVD player) for every four
>classes. And they don't think to buy DVD drives in the computers - then
>they would need a video projector if they want to use it for the whole
>class. etc.
>

>Tami-Jo M. Eckley wrote:
>>
>> Believe it or not, I do not get many requests for those really expensive
educational videos - usually. I have been handed a few requests from the
"media education foundation" catalog. Is there any future for educational
videos being released on DVD? Also, the most wanted videotape is titled
"Mickey Mouse Monopoly" an ArtMedia production. Would this title be
available anyplace else?

>> --
>> Tami-Jo Eckley
>> Electronic Services & Media Librarian