Re: Super Audio CD

Jerry Notaro (notaro@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu)
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:21:28 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Boedicker wrote:

> This isn't a video question, but is anyone familiar with Super Audio CD? I
> wasn't until today, when a Gloria Estefan CD that I ordered came in. A
> label on it reads "This disc is designed for use in Super Audio CD players
> only." I checked the Web, which in this case provided TOO much information,
> most of it quite technical. What I gathered is that "SACD" was designed to
> compete against DVD-Audio (which has yet to be launched?), and that SACDs
> can NOT be played on CD players (although apparently SACD players can play
> regular CDs with no problem, sort of like DVD/CD compatibility).
>
> Do I have this right? Anyone encountered this problem? What's annoying is
> that when I ordered the CD from Baker & Taylor there was no mention in the
> catalog about this new format or potential compatibility problems.

I'm sure the mistake was on the part of Baker and Taylor. Your technical
statements are all correct. And yes, DVD Audio has (finally) become available.
Both formats have their champions, but the tech fortune tellers are betting on
DVD-audio because DVD players are already available to play the video and audio
discs. One machine needed vs. two. I personally prefer SACD's, but I pretty
much a purist when it comes to audio.

Jerry Notaro, Media Librarian
University of South Florida, St. Petersburg