Re: Credit Card Question

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 06:27:15 -0700 (PDT)

At 10:32 AM 10/3/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi Jessica,
>I purchase videos all the time using a University issued purchasing card
>(Master Card). The card was originally restricted to particular vendors
>who use a specific set of MCC's or merchant codes and it can NOT be used
>for entertainment or food purchases.
>
> Althought the food restriction is no problem, the "entertainment"
>restriction began to give me trouble immediately due to the wide variety of
>vendors we patronize. (Many video retailers also sell video games so my
>card was being refused all over the place!)
>
>I contacted our University Accounting office in charge of this purchasing
>card program and pled my case, very convincingly I guess, because they
>authorized my card for any of the MCC codes on their list which had
>anything to do with video, laser disk, cd-ROM or DVD and I haven't had any
>problems since.
>
>The bottom line, your trouble probably has little to do with the content
>of the materials your vendor distributes and everything to do with their
>MCC or "merchant" code. Hope this helps.
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Pat O'Donnell
>X6-1248
What a coincidence that I got my AmEx statement only to find a charge from
a company that handles online billing from a variety of websites.
Apparently someone had used my number to purchase a subscription to a porno
website. That falls under entertainment. This company will be refunding me
the charge on the next billing statement. The woman I spoke with sent me a
printout of the information submitted while subscribing. The person had
given my old office number (I moved to another building last December) and
changed one digit in my phone number. The person had also fabricated a
usa.net e-mail address using my name. When I contacted usa.net they had no
record of my name or that e-mail address which was a great relief to me. I
have been using a corporate credit card for online purchases for 3 years
and this is the first time something like this has occured. So many people
handle our credit cards that it's surprising that this doesn't occur more
often.

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8