Re: Cataloguing foreign films/videos

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:58:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mary, Actually AACRII makes some provisions for this event. You can do
it a couple of different ways and be 'correct'; however, the kicker in the
modern age is the way patrons access titles using the computerized
bibliographic system and the way in which your system does title, uniform
title and vaient title/other title searches (i.e. the fields that the
different searches look at when asked to search by exact title, series,
keyword title, etc.)

You can do it the old way in the 245 field putting the English title first
= foreign title last. or you can do a 130 uniform title under the English
title with a 245 field Spanish title or a 245 English title and a 740
Spanish title. Ex. in our system patrons are used to doing a title-term
search; only a term search picks up the 740 fields so we have to do our
cataloging using #1 or 2 method. Hope this info. helps. Jim Scholtz.

At 08:58 AM 9/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm in a bit of a disagreement with our regional library about the main
>title entry for foreign films/videos. My contention is that a film or
>video such as "Like Water for Chocolate" should be entered with the
>main title entry under the English version of the name, not the Spanish
>version. I won't go into all the ramifications of overdue notices, etc.
>except to say that it is extremely confusing to patrons to receive one
>with a foreign title that they probably couldn't even find on a video
>that has been processed for American audiences - subtitled or not!
> This seems to have become an issue due to the fact a number of our
>records are being superimposed by OCLC records which appear to be
>just as inconsistent as any others I've seen.
> I don't see the similarity between a book written and published in
>a foreign language to a video which has obviously been produced and
>distributed for an English speaking audience.
> I'd appreciate any thoughts on this and if you have something I can
>use for ammunition in my argument, that would be even better.
> If I'm way off base here, I'd like to know that too.
> Thanks,
> Mary Gontarek
> Owatonna Public Library
> Owatonna, MN