Re: two stumpers in one day...

Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

I have a follow-up question to the copyright question. Informed by whom?
This is not a typical arrangement, but the distributor could make it part
of the license agreement. If that is the case, you can make a decision
about whether or not to show the film. I would be tempted not to.
However, no distributor has ever tried to limit our ability to advertise a
showing. Why would we pay a license fee if we didn't want a large number
of people to attend? -- Kris

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Amy Cantu wrote:

> Hi all--
>
> Any help with the following will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm looking for clarification of "fair use" as it applies to promoting films
> shown in a public library setting. We plan to purchase performance rights
> to show a film (for free) to the public, but we've been informed we may not
> advertise outside the library setting. It seems to me this seriously limits
> the potential draw, but then I suppose that's the point. Has anyone had
> experience in this area?
>
> Second question: A patron has recommended we purchase a video of the recent
> musical "Gumboots" by Zenzi Mbuli...but I can't seem to find anything on
> video yet. I've looked everywhere. Anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Amy Cantu
> cantua@aadl.org
> Adult Services
> Ann Arbor District Library
> Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu
www.dlib.indiana.edu