RE: Cataloguing foreign films/videos

Darryl Wiggers (Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com)
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:33:00 -0700 (PDT)

are going to search by the title they are most familiar with -- not by some
library-enforced standard.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Gontarek --- Owatonna Public Library
[mailto:MARYG@selco.lib.mn.us]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 11:58 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Cataloguing foreign films/videos

I'm in a bit of a disagreement with our regional library about the main
title entry for foreign films/videos. My contention is that a film or
video such as "Like Water for Chocolate" should be entered with the
main title entry under the English version of the name, not the Spanish
version. I won't go into all the ramifications of overdue notices, etc.
except to say that it is extremely confusing to patrons to receive one
with a foreign title that they probably couldn't even find on a video
that has been processed for American audiences - subtitled or not!
This seems to have become an issue due to the fact a number of our
records are being superimposed by OCLC records which appear to be
just as inconsistent as any others I've seen.
I don't see the similarity between a book written and published in
a foreign language to a video which has obviously been produced and
distributed for an English speaking audience.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this and if you have something I can
use for ammunition in my argument, that would be even better.
If I'm way off base here, I'd like to know that too.
Thanks,
Mary Gontarek
Owatonna Public Library
Owatonna, MN