RE: Maltin, etc.

Pennington, Buddy (buddy.pennington@Rockhurst.edu)
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:33:53 -0700 (PDT)

This is a bit beside the point but Maltin's reviews are available free on
the Internet Movie Database ( www.imdb.com <http://www.imdb.com> ) If you
search a movie, you should see a link on the left side of the page (under
Plot and Quotes) that takes you to Maltin's review of the movie from his
book, Leonard Maltin's Movie & Video Guide.

While it is still very useful to have a print copy of the books at the
library. The IMDB is useful for faculty in that they have access to the
reviews from their offices, homes, etc.

Roger Ebert's reviews, from 1985 to the present, can be found at
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ <http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/> . They are
free, easy to search for, and more thorough than Maltin's summaries.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu
#816-501-4143

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica [mailto:jesskino@redconnect.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 10:13 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Maltin, etc.

OK I will likely be in the minority here but I find Maltin most useful ( In
the interest of full disclosure he is a friend). Halliwell is way to
idiosyncratic and erratic in listings. I don't look really look at
Videohound that much. I find Maltin as comprehensive as something that size
can be and while I may disagree with some of the ratings ( How dare they not
give Kiss Me Deadly four stars) overall they are the most reasonable on this
issue. I always recommend that my customers keep a copy handy and here at
the office we have two , one for the Video Dept and one for us old fashioned
film people.

Jessica Rosner
kino