Re: Maltin, etc.

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:12:40 -0700 (PDT)

--MS_Mac_OE_3051686758_4919182_MIME_Part

OK I will likely be in the minority here but I find Maltin most useful ( In
the interest of full disclosure he is a friend). Halliwell is way to
idiosyncratic and erratic in listings. I don't look really look at
Videohound that much. I find Maltin as comprehensive as something that size
can be and while I may disagree with some of the ratings ( How dare they not
give Kiss Me Deadly four stars) overall they are the most reasonable on this
issue. I always recommend that my customers keep a copy handy and here at
the office we have two , one for the Video Dept and one for us old fashioned
film people.

Jessica Rosner
kino

From: "Andrea Slonosky" <Andrea.Slonosky@liu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 06:43:41 -0700 (PDT)
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Maltin, etc.

I recently requested that Leonard Maltin's Movie & Video Guide, Videohound's
Golden Movie Retriever, and Halliwell's Film Guide all be placed on standing
order, with the old copies being weeded as soon as the new copies were in.
I've been asked if they are all necessary.

My feeling is that they are all useful for faculty who want to think about
including films in their courses, they provide a quick guide to feature
films available on video, and they all have a slightly different emphasis
and coverage, not to mention criteria. Currently there are no provisions in
the library to maintain these titles, beyond my own memory. I want to
respond that they are useful and necessary in the same way that multiple
English dictionaries are, and far less expensive, but thought I'd check
with the collective before shooting my mouth off!

So the questions are: in your respected opinions, are these titles
different from each other? Are they all necessary? If not, which one(s)
would you prefer to have handy all the time? Personally, I like Halliwell
for the pithy reviews, Maltin for the volume and Videohound for ease of use.

Thanks

Andrea Slonosky
Media Librarian
Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus
(718) 488-1311
Andrea.Slonosky@liu.edu

--MS_Mac_OE_3051686758_4919182_MIME_Part

Re: Maltin, etc. OK I will likely be in the minority here but I find Maltin most useful ( In= the interest of full disclosure he is a friend). Halliwell is way to idiosy= ncratic  and erratic in listings. I don't look really look at Videohoun= d that much. I find Maltin as comprehensive as something that size can be an= d while I may disagree with some of the ratings ( How dare they not give Kis= s Me Deadly four stars) overall they are the most reasonable on this issue. = I always recommend that my customers keep a copy handy and here at the offic= e we have two , one for the Video Dept and one for us old fashioned film peo= ple.